When outdoor with no access to a laptop or regular internet technology, what helps is stay connected is our mobile, and more specifically our mobile internet. Being an on-the-move generation, our dependability on mobile web has increased manifold. Now that when we all have started using this amazing technology, it’s no wonder that many websites are opening their eyes to the SEO opportunities.
Most of us know what SEO, that is, Search Engine Optimization actually does. It is a web technique which helps the website rank better from scores of other websites in the search engine. By clubbing SEO and mobile marketing, we get mobile SEO techniques. Though mobile search and its practices are being talked about these days, the fact remains that it is still in its infancy stage, but will sure go a long way.
Before moving on to know the mobile SEO checklist, keep one thing in mind and that is, most mobile web searches are largely based on queries and updates. Ever since online world has gone mobile, websites have come up with their mobile version for the benefits of the mobile web user. Often, traditional desktop internet based websites fail to load properly on the mobile phone. However with the entry of smart-phones and i-phones, even this problem has been taken care of.
Points to remember for mobile SEO and mobile websites:
- A company should ensure its site detects visitors viewing it via their mobile phones, and automatically redirect them to mobile-optimized mirror or alternate version
- Make the name of your mobile website easy to remember. As the buttons on the keyboard are tiny and it’s better to keep the interaction with the user up to minimum. That way, the user won’t get perturbed by endless steps involved in user interaction.
- Just like websites for computers, mobile sites also need a site map which needs to be submitted to search engines.
- Keep all the texts and pictures up to a basic level. Make it easier for the mobile internet user to browse your site. Also, allow the users to log in your site with their username and password from the desktop internet version.
- Unwanted design elements should be avoided so that user doesn’t have any technical blocks browsing through the website. Many mobiles may not be equipped with the software compatible with those technologies.
- Use mobile search engine optimized keywords for your website. Adwords account provides the option for advanced search where you can find out the mobile keywords.
- Have a common URL structure in your website. Urls should also be short to fit the mobile screen. Some standard SEO techniques such as the usage of optimized H1 tags, anchor links with keywords, optimized titles and metadata should be applied.
- Reduce the number of hyperlink texts in the website because it can not only look bad on mobile but can also irritate the user if he accidently clicks the link he doesn’t want to open.
- Mobile internet varies from desktop internet and is used for different purposes than the latter. Mobile users tend to have less patience for slow websites. So target your users and their access their needs.
- Dimensions like location, content formats and devices play an important role in mobile web.
- “Less keywords” is the mantra of mobile SEO. Most mobile users try to find out information like airplane timings etc. They don’t want to waste time and efforts typing big keywords in the search engine.
- Linking with other related mobile sites also helps increase a company’s relevance when a keyword is used.
Companies must test and track its mobile device SEO strategies for smartphones, iPhones, iPads, and tablet devices.